Hats and mittens are always needed in a full range of sizes to fit children from toddlers to teens. See Wool-Aid Guidelines for general information. This is an ongoing campaign with no set deadline.
We include guidelines below. Please aim for hats and mittens that will be very warm for the children — remember that we send to children who live in extremely cold conditions!
Guidelines for Hats and Mittens:
- Use wool (at least 80% wool/animal fiber).
- Use worsted weight yarn or heavier.
- Mitten and hat sets would be wonderful, but are not required.
- Hats with earflaps or double-layer hats are wonderful and warm.
- Hats will ideally be able to entirely cover the ears. The thicker, the better, so please, no lacy hats.
- Mittens should have generous cuffs — 2-3 inches or so — for extra warmth and protection from wind.
- Head circumference: approximately 16 to 22 inches.
- Mitten measurement from the base of the palm to the tip of the longest finger: up to 8.5 inches, but allow a bit of extra length for wiggle room.
Please send all finished hats and mittens to:
1381 Rocky Creek Court
Belleville, IL 62220
If you are able, a contribution to help share the cost of shipping expenses would be appreciated. See How to Donate to Wool-Aid for details.