We have begun a group project to create blankets for distribution through afghans for Afghans. Many Ravelry members are working on Oddball Blankets that are knit collectively. You can knit or crochet … get your local knitting group involved … create a blanket as a family project … complete a blanket on your own or with a friend … be part of our Wool-Aid team in whatever way works best for you! Please follow the guidelines below:
- Minimum dimensions of 40” × 45”.
- Larger afghans should not exceed 50” × 50”.
- Knit or crochet your favorite pattern or try something new. Classic patterns are best.
- Use wool (or other animal fiber) to provide maximum utility in harsh weather.
- Please avoid white and very light colors that soil more easily. Afghans like all colors—bright and cheery palettes! No camo yarn. Use up those wool oddballs.
- Avoid lacy or airy patterns.
- Use textured or geometric designs. Do not incorporate representational images such as faces and animals in your design—Islam prohibits depicting such likenesses.
- Do not incorporate religious or national symbols.
See Wool-Aid’s Guidelines for general information. The end date for this campaign is January May 2011.
Please send all blankets to
1381 Rocky Creek Court
Belleville, IL 62220
We will send all blankets as a collective contribution from our Wool-Aid community. This campaign has been extended into May 2011 by afghans for Afghans, so we continue our campaign, too.
If you are able, a contribution to help share the cost of shipping expenses would be appreciated. See How to Donate to Wool-Aid for details.